Wednesday 3 June 2015

A Day Out in Kirkcudbright

A Day Out in Kirkcudbright

April 22nd 2015

WOW!  That was a MASSIVE day out!  We did so much, had so much fun and have so many photos that it will take me ages to write about it.  Kirkcudbright is a small town about 50 miles west of where we live.  (I didn't know how to say its name but it seems it's Kirr-koo-bree).  It's sometimes called the Artists' Town because of its connection with various artists in the past and its present day artistic activities.  Apparently it's a picturesque, interesting town and a family favourite for an occasional day visit.  We decided to have a day out because it was such a beautiful day - wall-to-wall blue skies and lovely warm sunshine.  As it was so warm, I decided to change my cosy, woolly scarf for something cooler.

Sometimes it's fun to think which animal a person might remind you of.  In Grannymac's son's case it would have to be a bear - he agrees with that himself!  In my diary, I'm going to call him Yogi Bear - apparently he's smarter than your average bear!  Anyway, Yogi enjoys canoeing and he is going to be dropped off to start his trip down part of the River Dee.  Grannymac and I will then go on to Kirkcudbright where we will have five hours to do what we like.

But first things first - breakfast!  We stopped at a place called Kilnford, just outside Dumfries.  They keep Belted Galloway cattle there and there's a farm shop, cafe etc.  Grannymac and Yogi had a different breakfast from usual - eggy bread and bacon, with maple syrup.  Very tasty!  While eating, we watched a ewe with her two lambs. The lambs were very lively, investigating all around, especially the hedge.  Mother had a job keeping an eye on them.


Next on to the drop-off point. Yogi got all his gear sorted out and then he was off.  We watched as he paddled off into the distance along the very sparkly river.


Now for Kirkcudbright, several miles away, for some shopping, a bite to eat, a visit to some gardens and a look at the harbour.  Parking was easy as the tourist season hasn't started yet.




After some shopping, which was fun for Grannymac, it was time for lunch at a favourite little cafe.  During the summer, they have the most delicious strawberry and lemon cheesecake, but it's too early for that today.  We sat outside to ejoy the sunshine.  The wall of the building had been painted with a very colourful mural and, would you believe it, there was even a swing for me to play on while Grannymac ate her sandwiches!  Wasn't that kind of them!







Next stop was Broughton House & Garden, the former home of  artist E.A.Hornel, now in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.  Grannymac had been here several times before but not at this time of the year.  We didn't spend time in the house this time as the garden was the main attracrtion.

Through the garden gate we went!  I hoped there would be some trees for me to climb - I'm a bear who loves to climb!  Grannymac loves taking photographs and there was certainly lots to photograph in that garden.  There were so many beautiful flowers for Grannymac to photograph that we can't show you all of them, so just a few are included here.  There was also an unusual garden ornament - a black and red stylised representation of a cockerel (there was also a hen) looking as if he was scratching in the soil.






One of the flowers was big enough for me to sit in for a while.  I had only just got up when a big bumble bee came along and settled on the flower.  Phew - that was a narrow escape!



You can imagine how pleased I was to get a couple of opportunities to climb, once among some magnolia flowers (I nearly had an accident there - good job Grannymac was with me to rescue me!)





and then high up in an arch - I had a great view from up there.  Can you see me?



As we turned to leave the garden, we had a very nice view of the house - its pink colour is just like the pink on my feet and ears.


The next part of Kirkcudbright we went to was the harbour - Grannymac says harbours are always interesting.  There weren't many fishing boats in that day but I can see what she means.  Can you see me in the second photo?  That boat and mooring ring made me feel very small!



There is a very touching memorial at the harbour.  I think it is made out of one piece of wood.  The plaque at its base says 'In memory of those lost at sea'.


It was time to leave Kirkcudbright now to collect Yogi when he came off the river.  I hope we can come back to Kirkcudbright soon.

After we picked Yogi up, we stopped to look at some Belted Galloway cattle.  I'm glad that gate was there!




Our day out wasn't finished yet!  Yogi suggested that as it was fairly close by, we should pay a quick visit to another favourite place called Raiders Road, a 10 mile forest drive.  The first place we stopped was Stroan Loch where Yogi brewed up a cup of coffee while I sat on a big rock and admired the view.


The sun was setting so we didn't have much time.  We drove along the road - I was allowed to sit on the dashboard so that I could see how beautiful it was - that was exciting! 



Apparently it wasn't as beautiful as it used to be because a lot of the trees had either blown down in storms or had been cut down - harvested really as this is Forestry Commission property.  There were piles of logs lying in lots of places along the roadside.  We went along as far as the Otter's Pool where we stopped for a little while.  It was very pretty.  And just look at the whopper of a cone I found!





It was time to head home as the light really was fading.  However, one more little adventure!  When we had gone along the road just a bit, we found we had to stop because a timber lorry was loading up logs! There was no room to pass the lorry or for him to move anywhere, so we had to sit tight until he had finished.  I had a very good view of all that was happening.




When we did manage to get moving, it was straight home.  I was so relieved to flop into my chair, ready for a good night's sleep.  You can see what I meant at the beginning - this really was a MASSIVE day out!







No comments:

Post a Comment